With the French Open only days away, here are few things that I think have been revealed in the past few weeks:
• Maria Sharapova is as legit as they come when it's time to get down and dirty on the dirt. I remember saying a few times over the past couple of years that she shouldn't play on clay to save her shoulder. So much for that notion!
• Rafael Nadal looks pretty good on the stuff. So does Novak Djokovic.
• The red stuff, that is. We all know how they felt about the blue stuff in Madrid.
• Roger Federer and Serena Williams didn't seem to mind it as much, and are playing super-solid as well.
• Defending French Open women's champ Li Na is rounding into form. Last year's finalist and '10 champ Francesca Schiavone is rounding out of form.
• Sara Errani, she of the three tournament wins on the dirt so far this year, could be a darkhorse—or she could get pummeled against elite, hard-hitting players which seems to be the case the past few weeks.
• Andy Murray is going to be hard-pressed to defend his Roland Garros semifinal points.
• Maybe Tomas Berdych will be the one to grab them up? Or David Ferrer? Or Juan Martin del Potro?
• American men hadn't played enough to be marked as contenders. (And I'm not just referring to Mardy Fish, who's sick: I don't want to be called the next Ivan Ljubicic!)
An old friend of mine and I used to talk tennis for hours, whether it was our own games or what was happening in the pros. I've started Tennis Talk, Anyone? to, well, talk tennis with an even broader crowd! My name is Van Sias and I've been playing for 20 years now, and not only am I player, I'm a huge fan of the game as well: pro, amateur, you name it. I'll post links to news items related to the sport, and offer my own personal opinion, predictions and hopefully get some of yours as well.