It's nearly upon us, that 2012 tennis season, and I figured there's no time like the present to start looking ahead, particularly with the '11 season firmly in the past.
Whew, talk about one time paradox of a sentence!
Anyway, here are 12 predictions that I'm going to give you going into the new year. Check back a year from now to see what came true. Actually, check back here all of the time: I'd miss you if you didn't come back! Here's the look ahead:
12. Rafael Nadal will finish the year on top in the men's rankings.
11. Serena Williams will win two Majors, and finish the year at number one.
10. This year's Slam surprise winner on the women's side: Andrea Petkovic at the French.
9. Andy Murray will make two Slam finals, but still won't win one. 2013 is his year.
8. No American male will make a Grand Slam semi; John Isner will be the number-one American male by the end of the year.
7. Davis Cup champ: Argentina. Fed Cup champ: Russia.
6. Kei Nishikori will crack the top 10.
5. A lot of people are picking Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Juan Martin del Potro to break up the big 4. Neither one of them will.
4. Comeback players of the year: Sam Querrey and Casey Dellacqua
3. Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic both return to the top 10. Caroline Wozniacki's out.
2. Roger Federer: 2012 Wimbledon champ, plus Olympic Gold--in singles this time!
1. Novak Djokovic wins half as many titles as last year.
And a bonus prediction: Lleyton Hewitt, David Nalbandian, Kim Clijsters and the biggie, Venus Williams, announce they're hanging it up at the end of the year.
An old friend of mine and I used to talk tennis for hours, whether it was our own games or what was happening in the pros. I've started Tennis Talk, Anyone? to, well, talk tennis with an even broader crowd! My name is Van Sias and I've been playing for 20 years now, and not only am I player, I'm a huge fan of the game as well: pro, amateur, you name it. I'll post links to news items related to the sport, and offer my own personal opinion, predictions and hopefully get some of yours as well.