I just realized: I never said goodbye to this year's Australian Open. I mean, there were champions I haven't acknowledged, tears I haven't made mention of … the whole kit and kaboodle! I'll keep it brief since everything's been discussed and dissected elsewhere.
• First, congrats to Rafael Nadal on winning the whole thing. Is it me or do you, too, like him more each time you see him win?
• I'd also like to acknowledge the Bryans and Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza winning the men's and mixed doubles, respectively. I always plug this all the time I write something about the Bryans, and sadly, I'm going to do it again. I just think they should get more props for what they've accomplished.
• What can you say about Serena Williams that hasn't been said? Wow.
• Roger Federer's going to be OK.
• My favorite performers this tournament? That has to be Fernando Verdasco, Jelena Dokic Andy Roddick. I hope they keep up the good form throughout the year.
• Also, that was some run by the Russian women, huh? They were a missed volley away from their being four in the semis.
Well, anyway, I'm moving on. But you have to admit (or at least I am!): This was one of the most intriguing Aussies in years.
An old friend of mine and I used to talk tennis for hours, whether it was our own games or what was happening in the pros. I've started Tennis Talk, Anyone? to, well, talk tennis with an even broader crowd! My name is Van Sias and I've been playing for 20 years now, and not only am I player, I'm a huge fan of the game as well: pro, amateur, you name it. I'll post links to news items related to the sport, and offer my own personal opinion, predictions and hopefully get some of yours as well.