Tuesday, February 3, 2009
I just realized: I never said goodbye to this year's Australian Open. I mean, there were champions I haven't acknowledged, tears I haven't made mention of … the whole kit and kaboodle! I'll keep it brief since everything's been discussed and dissected elsewhere.
• First, congrats to Rafael Nadal on winning the whole thing. Is it me or do you, too, like him more each time you see him win?
• I'd also like to acknowledge the Bryans and Mahesh Bhupathi and Sania Mirza winning the men's and mixed doubles, respectively. I always plug this all the time I write something about the Bryans, and sadly, I'm going to do it again. I just think they should get more props for what they've accomplished.
• What can you say about Serena Williams that hasn't been said? Wow.
• Roger Federer's going to be OK.
• My favorite performers this tournament? That has to be Fernando Verdasco, Jelena Dokic Andy Roddick. I hope they keep up the good form throughout the year.
• Also, that was some run by the Russian women, huh? They were a missed volley away from their being four in the semis.
Well, anyway, I'm moving on. But you have to admit (or at least I am!): This was one of the most intriguing Aussies in years.